This year, ‘The Art of Good Health and Wellbeing’, 8th annual international arts and health conference, at the Art Gallery of NSW, 16 – 18 November 2016, will continue to explore “Mental Health and Resilience through the Arts”, as the overarching theme, with three specific areas of focus:
Mental Health and Resilience, Creative Ageing
Health and the Arts in Hospitals, Healthcare Services and Health Promotion
The establishment of the NSW Health and the Arts Taskforce last year by the NSW Minister for Health, the Hon Jillian Skinner MP, has led to an exponential increase in interest in how the arts can be utilised within healthcare settings and in health promotion.
As a result, the Australian Centre for Arts and Health (ACAH) has developed training modules for the health and the arts sectors to facilitate professional development in arts and health practice, evaluation and research.
The conference will offer special educational workshops based on these ACAH arts and health training modules in the following areas:
1. Health and the Arts: A Guided Workshop to inform healthcare administrators and health professionals about designing and managing a best practice arts and health program in primary and acute care, community health and health promotion
2. Creative Ageing: Utilising arts and health programs in retirement villages, services for older people in the community and aged care facilities
3. Arts and Health in Museums and Galleries: The expanding opportunity for Access and Public Programs in association with local visual, digital, literary and performing artists.
4. Artists in Healthcare: Professional Training for artists – across art forms.
5. Evaluation and Research: How to Measure the Benefits and Outcomes of Arts and Health Programs
Conference program details, including keynote speakers, are being progressively released on this website.
A call for papers is open and submissions close on 31 August 2016. Submissions are being progressively reviewed on receipt of abstracts.
For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or subscribe to the Arts and Health newsletter.
General conference sessions will encompass:
Arts and Health in Primary and Acute Care
Creative Ageing and Aged Care
Community Arts and Health
Health Promotion and the Arts
Education and Training for Health and Arts Professionals
Arts and Health Research and Evaluation
Mental Health and the Arts
Architecture and Design in Health Settings
Arts and Health in Rural and Regional Communities
Medical Humanities for Health Professionals
International Arts and Health Perspectives, Collaborations and Research
Who should attend?
- Medical, nursing and allied healthcare professionals
- Government decision-makers and policy advisers in health, indigenous affairs, arts, science, education and training, community health, veterans’ affairs, cultural tourism and local government
- Executives in public and private hospitals, retirement villages, aged care and palliative care facilities
- Representatives of arts organisations, visual and performing artists, writers, arts and health practitioners
- Representatives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Local Government representatives from community cultural development, aged care and community health services
- Education authorities, academics, teachers and medical and healthcare colleges
- Researchers, particularly in the area of health and social sciences
- Art and museum educators and curators
- Art therapists (visual arts, dance, music, drama, expressive writing)